06 October, 2013

To Live is....

Good day my Friends...

This post is very important, extremely important, to me.  I had a completely different opening written, but I did not want what I have written below to be diluted.  Please read, and by all means comment as you are led.

For those of you who read this and have not yet surrendered your life to the One who died for you, I humbly hope that He will use it.  For those of you who read this and have surrendered your life to the One who paid the price that we cannot, I humbly hope that He will use it.

The Bible is replete with examples of men and women who did not limit God's access to their lives.  Women like Ruth, Esther, and Mary (the earthly mother of Jesus).  Men like David, Daniel (and his friends), and Paul.  All of these people are human, and inherit the same sinful nature that we all do.  This means, and the Bible records, that they did not allow God this access all of their lives.  They stumbled, disobeyed, and rebelled at different moments.  They struggled with this same concept, just as we do.

"Access to my life".  I am extrapolating this concept from the Bible verse Philippians 1:21 "For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain."  This verse is in the middle of a statement by Paul regarding the spreading of the Gospel, the Good News of the Bible (that we are separated from God and that God sent His Son Jesus to bridge the gap of that separation).  Paul's hope in Jesus Christ gave him the faith to know that the penultimate destination for his life, after surrendering to God, was eternally being in the presence of God in heaven.  He totally and completely understood that the end game is Eternity.  The beginning of his statement declares his obedience to God.  "To live is Christ".  Paul is acknowledging that his life is no longer his own.  If God allows him to draw breath on earth, then God has work from him to do.

Paul's declaration is one I hope to own as well.  All of this life, after we surrender to God, belongs to Him (in truth it has always belonged to Him, we just don't realize that).  He redeemed my life from the justified eternal punishment that is hell.  There is nothing that I have that does not rightfully belong to him.  The question then in real life is this... how often do I obey and hold to that declaration.

Our lives have always belonged to God, He created them, but when we accept
the gift of Christ's work on the cross we need to give ALL of our life back to Him.

When I view my life through God's eyes, or by His standards, does the desire to obey Him hold the primary position.  Do I effort to draw closer to Him, to know Him more, so that my faith is increased?  Do I tear down the walls that I have erected, the ones that essentially tell God that He isn't welcome in that part of my life?  Am I willing to turn off or turn away from inputs that call good what God has called evil or call evil what God has called good? Am I willing to destroy the artificial construct that I attempt to limit God to so that He can use me the way He desires?

I know that while I remain here on earth that I will struggle with giving God what is rightfully His... everything. God has tasks, goals, and missions for me to complete.  Those missions include being a Godly husband and father, a Sunday school teacher and youth leader (at this moment), writing these posts ( I believe), and being a living example of Philippians 1:21.

To live is Christ... #PH1:21


No comments:

Post a Comment