31 December, 2013

Galatians 2

It is another fine day on God's creation!  Let's jump right in to chapter 2:

Paul begins chapter 2 by continuing the record of his time since the his conversion on the road to Damascus.  However, in verses 2-5 he advises that some false teachings had found a way into the church at Jerusalem (that men needed to be circumcised to be believers).  He admonishes that Believers of the True Gospel should not heed, or yield, to those false teachers for even an hour.  We must be vigilant that nothing but the Word of God is proclaimed within our churches!

Paul provides an important reminder in verse 6.  We should not be concerned with what man approves of (specifically mentioning those that seemed to something, or important):

But from those who seemed to be something — 
whatever they were, it makes no difference to me;
God shows personal favoritism to no man — 
for those who seemed to be something added nothing to me.
Galatians 2:6 (NKJV)

I believe another important principle of ministry is presented within verses 7-10.  Paul was called to spread the Gospel to the Gentiles (or those who are not Hebrews).  Peter (along with others) was called to spread the Gospel to the Hebrews.  Of note here is that once it was determined that they were both sharing the same True Gospel, the hand of fellowship was extended from Peter to Paul.  They realized though that their ministries were different.  It is important that we do not consider another's ministry less important than our own.  God gives a specific ministry to specific people, and we should encourage all who are spreading the True Gospel and pray for them!

The final eleven verses of the chapter is Paul's record of having to confront a fellow Apostle who was sinning.  Peter was willing to eat with Gentiles when other Hebrews were not around, but when Hebrews arrived in this town Peter would no longer fellowship with the Gentiles.  He was putting old traditions above the Gospel.  Paul reminded him (in what I am sure was not an easy conversation) that it is not what we have done that has saved us, but our faith in Christ Jesus.  We MUST live our lives according to the Scriptures first and then any laws or customs which do not contradict the Scriptures.

One of my favorite passages is recorded here.  Paul proclaims that the law (the Old Testament) showed him his need for a Savior and that Paul died to the law when he accepted salvation by Faith in Christ.  This is an important reminder that the Old Testament is every bit as important and useful as the New Testament. He rightly says that his life is no longer his, but that his life belongs to the One who redeemed it!

For I through the law died to the law that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
Galatians 2:19-20

My prayer after reading this passage is that I obey the Scriptures first and then earthly laws and customs.  I also hope that I remember whose life I am currently living, and that it is not mine.

Humbly in His Service,
Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment